Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sue and Catelin's Shadowing Experience in Kenya



Sue preparing corn for pounding
Sue getting rid of the corn hulls
Sue pounding the corn

Sue chopping wood
When Catelin and I shadowed Frida for the day, ohmigosh....
Within the first hour we had blisters from pounding the corn and were happy when she told us, "Now we walk to my garden."  Didn't know the "garden" was over the mountain and through the woods and that when we got there, we had some serious wood chopping to do.   So, with our gloves and water bottles safely locked back in Frida's hut, we commenced to chop and chop and chop.   That was when the blisters started popping and we were losing skin and getting very sore hands.  Some of the ladies that were nearby got a kick out of us and told Frida that one of her girls was very strong (that would be Catelin) and the other one was poli-poli. (?really?)   Catelin and I each got our bundles of wood on our heads to hike back over the mountain and that's when Frida strapped the only fat baby in Africa, Eunice, to Catelin's back.  I had to stop for a rest halfway and it was all I could do to get that wood back to the hut, while Catelin, her wood, her baby and 20 little extra helper-feet hustled on ahead.  Whenever we met women on the trail between the garden, the wood-cutting, the water-getting, they would greet us and welcome us and I would tell them that we were Frida's maids.  They really got a huge laugh out of that. 
Sue carrying wood, Kenyan style
When we got back to the hut, thankfully, Frida was hungry so it was time to make tea - the long way.  Build a fire, fetch the water, boil the water, throw in chai leaves, a little sugar and something white and for the first time, I was thankful NOT to have a microwave - it gave us a good, long breather.  Frida sent John to the little store to buy some cookies.  I had seen her give him some coins but didn't know it was to buy cookies for us.  Not a good feeling, as I'm sure that was a significant sacrifice for them. James was there with Patrick so he joined us in a little "tea party" sort of thing with Frida and all of her kids.  Cate, James and I all tried to dump our tea into Patrick's cup so we wouldn't have to drink it or offend our hostess.  She was not taking "no, thank you" for an answer!  It was cute to see Eunice, who was constantly nursing on mommy, down a big mug of chai tea and chunk of bread.

Chai tea break with James, Catelin, Patrick and Frida
Catelin getting water
Then it's time to get water. Patience and Beatrice both helped with that chore.  I couldn't balance the 5 gallon bucket on my head so Frida took that, Catelin took two large jugs and I took Eunice. We had been there much longer than we planned so when we got back, we were both exhausted and hurting and told them we had to leave.  (We didn't say it was because we needed a cold drink and some Advil.)   On the way home, Cate and I talked about these women and girls that do this everyday of their lives and I have thought about them every day since we left.  I will never complain again when all 6 of my gas burners are going and both of my ovens are full.

Sue with baby Eunice on her back
Another favorite experience was being able to teach in the classrooms. We usually had about 85-95 kids per class and I was so impressed at their attentiveness.  I taught a lesson about working using the story of the Little Ren Hen.  I had children help by dressing them in simple costumes and saying simple lines.  They were so shy.  I could tell it was something new for them to use costumes or props of any kind.  They always laughed when we put the costumes on their classmates.  Some of the classrooms had desks, some sat on floors. Madame Edda's class at Mnyenzeni primary school sat on the floor, but in rows and groups of 3 as if they were sitting in desks. She was so appreciative of our being there.   She told us she was going to make masks and rehearse this play with her class.  After we left to go to the next class,  I could hear her and her class singing the songs we had just sung with them.  When we finished our teaching, I took all the props and the story book back to Mdm. Edda so that she could do the play with her kids. She was tickled. Even the teachers were willing learners, there is so much they can learn about creativity in teaching.

Miguneni classroom experience
After finishing our classes at Miguneni, Catelin and I were walking through the schoolyard to join our group when we heard singing. As we listened, we both thought we heard them sing "Catie" so we walked over to the classroom where she had been teaching earlier and sure enough, they were singing "O teacher Catie, how do you do?  We are happy to see you teacher we want to dance with you."  They were singing so loudly, hoping Catelin would hear them, and we were so glad we returned.  Then they sang all 94 verses, same as the first, while Cate walked amongst them.  Such beautiful, joyful faces. This is one of my favorite videos of the trip.



Another time, Catelin and I found ourselves surrounded by a sea of beautiful black faces, so excited to be near us or touch us or speak to us.  It was a bit overwhelming at times and I was puzzled by the attention that was poured upon us as if we were celebrities or someone of great importance. As we were surrounded by this huge group, I felt this consuming feeling of connection to these strangers and then I realized what it was. I said to Cate, "Heavenly Father knows every one of their names." I was surrounded by brothers and sisters that were born under different circumstances and I felt a keen expectation placed in my heart. They are victims of very difficult circumstances in the same way that I am a beneficiary of very blessed circumstances.  I know I can't just walk away from that place and do nothing.  Where much is given....

Catelin playing with kids at Miguneni Primary school

Sue's husband, Curt, reading to village kids
With Frida's family

No comments:

Post a Comment