Monday, August 30, 2010

Brayden's Thoughts on his 2010 Kenyan Eagle Project

Brayden with finished desks ready to deliver to Dzivani Primary school
My trip to Africa was so amazing! I went to Kenya to build school desks for my Eagle Scout project. It was great to work along side the villagers. After going to the schools the first day and seeing their old buildings with children sitting on dirt floors with bugs or squishing to sit four or five kids across a desk made for three, I knew we had to build as many desks as we could. It was hard because we kept running out of wood and screws and one day the power went out so we couldn't run the equipment. It was good to watch the desks be loaded up on a trailer behind the Koins tractor and taken to the new schools. I knew the kids would be very happy to use them!

Kids will sit 3-4 to a desk in the classrooms

Brayden working on making desks

Finished desks ready to load up for delivery
Brayden in front of Koins tractor ready to deliver new desks to Dzivani
Brayden with Mike, Curt and the Kenyan workshop crew, sitting on finished desks
Brayden and his mom, Sherrie, in Kenya
 Even if I hadn't have been doing my Eagle project, I still would have loved going to Kenya to build the desks because I learned so much and made a lot of new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment