Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bret, Back in Kenya

Bret has returned to Kenya, and will be there for the month of April.  There is an expedition arriving mid-month, and many projects will be carried out over the next few weeks.  It will be an exciting time in the Koins area. 
___________________
It was almost two years ago that Leah Njoroge, a representative of Safari.com, came down to the village area from Nairobi to inspect the work that Koins had performed with the funds they had granted us through one of that company's initiatives to construct latrines in the bush.  She came down during one of our expeditions and was able to not only perform her inspections, but look into the eyes of Koins through our excited guests from the U.S., as well as through those whom we serve.  Leah admitted that she was not prepared to be moved by what she experienced, even though she had been engaged with other organizations.  She saw the mutual love between the wazungu (white people) and the Africans, and how we worked together in such harmony to accomplish our objectives.  It was at this point that Leah placed a Koins pin on her life's map.  Over the next 20 months Leah took time off from work when expeditions were in town.  She made the lengthy trip to our village and helped us with our projects.  She became friends with many of the locals, keeping in contact with them even when she was far away in Nairobi.

About a year ago the goal of having our long-time Executive Director, Anthony Yama, enter politics was realized.  Anthony, through his work with Koins, has become the most popular and influential person in our large, expanding geographic area.  With just over a year to prepare of his run for office, the search for his replacement began.  The job Anthony had performed for nearly a decade was done gradually, learning with each step Koins took.  Our original construction projects had mistakes that have been addressed and corrected.  Our stumbling blocks with the government have been hurdled, and the issues that used to give us headaches have become items that we laugh about now.  However, the job has developed in multiples and his areas of responsibility have expanded immeasurably.  We began with a couple of classroom buildings, and now our work encompasses water development, agriculture, micro-businesses, and our continued construction project of schools, latrines, water cisterns, and desks for our schools.  We have provided hundreds of scholarships for our gifted children, improved local dispensaries with supplies and training, sponsored in-training for teachers and village mothers, and become such a part of the local landscape that all the people who live in our many communities refer to the village where we are centered as Koins Village.

We interviewed a variety of talented individuals who wanted to work with Koins.  All of them were spectacular people with strengths in a wide swath of topics.  But, none of them left us inspired like our visitor from Safari.com.

After the typical long voyage from Utah, I arrived on Friday night in Nairobi.  As the crowd shuffled from the airplane they were directed to the passport control, heading to the left at the opening of the jetway.  This is the most painful part of the Nairobi airport because they are always short-handed and the paperwork is all done by hand.  I scooted to the opposite direction because I've been through every part of the airport and know the shortcuts.  Arriving ahead of everyone, I was second in line, passed through quickly, and grabbed my bags that were, for the first time in the history of all my Kenyan travels, waiting for me on the luggage belt.  With this sequence of events I felt invincible.

Early Saturday morning Leah and I picked up Ken Schultz, a guy from New Jersey that does some humanitarian work in Kenya.  We had planned on driving to the town of Thika where Leah was born and raised.  It is also where three of our scholarship students are attending University, including my favorite village student, Purity Mrabu.  We went directly to campus where Purity Mrabu was waiting for us at the front gates.  Her radiant smile becomes larger with every day that passes, and she is so visibly thrilled to see us that I cannot help but smile with her.  She and Dzombo crammed into our car and off to Tusky's, the Albertson's of Kenya, we went.

We visited each aisle, carefully examining the shelves which are filled with every necessity for even a modern shopper.  Even though Purity now resides in this medium-sized town, she would never shop in this store.  We filled our carts with all the food stuffs that would take these three to the end of the semester.  Purity saw packages of pasta and proudly boasted how she had learned how to cook it from our Queen of the Kitchen, Mama Emily.  When I told her she could buy some, 8 packages were quickly placed in the cart.  We approached the clear bags of sugar and I could almost see her shudder with possible anticipation.  When I told her "one bag," she uncharacteristically clapped, then selected the largest bag she could find.  Hey, I told her one and she stuck to it.  Flour, corn meal, bars of soap, cooking oil, all went into the cart.  Toothpaste and a new brush were added, then as we passed the "Women's" section, I told her to take what she needed.  Instead of a grateful smile, her face took on the look of someone who was relieved that something unpleasant had been lifted from them.  I found a small cooler that had a few Diet Cokes in the back.  Now I was smiling as much as the students and slowly sipped the sweet nectar while we finished buying fruits and vegetables and checked out.

These kids study so hard that they actually forget to eat.  Purity lost significant weight when she first arrived at University because her drive to succeed was stronger than her pangs of hunger.  Her report cards clearly demonstrated her dedication, but it was taking a toll.  We had invested so much in this young girl's education that we couldn't see her faltering because of malnutrition, so we went against our mantra and began sending funds for fruits, meat, and greens.  She has gained her weight back, is strong as ever, and her results at exam time would shame even the highest achievers. 

After a couple of enjoyable hours with these stellar kids, we hoisted their treasures and walked them to their dormitories.  Genuine, glaring gratitude is such an understatement when describing the sentiment I feel when I'm with our stars from the village.  From here we drove across town to a small, humble home surrounded by a tall block wall and thick gate of steel.  This is where Leah's mother lives and family members had gathered.  They were saying their good-byes and had prepared a feast for us.  I immediately directed my attention to the small kids in this tiny place and became good friends with Leah's niece, Njeri.  Leah has a loving family who genuinely care for her.  She's the baby of the family, so having her move away is a strange thought.  They are fully supportive of what she is doing and are now members of the Koins family.

The journey back to Nairobi was quick since it was Saturday.  My head was foggy from lack of sleep and the monstrous time change, so Leah went to stay with her sister and I retired to the stiff bed at the hotel. 

Easter morning was just as noisy under my window as any other.  It had rained and the air was just cool enough to warrant a blanket as I opened the sliding glass door to my stuffy room.  Leah called to let me know the truck was on the way to pick us up, then we would head to her house and move all of her belongings.  Luckily the weather cooperated, giving us a window without a drop falling on her stuff as we went up and down the uneven stairwell.  She had prepared all the boxes ahead of time, and with the help of two gate guards from her complex, we were fully loaded in just a couple of hours.  As she locked the gate I asked her if she was going to miss this place.  Her response was "of course, but I'm also too excited to go to the village."  She had arranged for a friend to take over her lease, so she took the key, placed it into a small plastic bag, and hid it in a small hole at the base of the wall, then placed a large rock on top of it.  She called her friend and told her where she could find it, turned to me and the driver and ordered us to go.  She was moving on, she is happy and excited, so the departure was not difficult.

The truck dropped us off near the airport and continued on.  He had 10 hours drive ahead of him and could not get out of Nairobi fast enough.  Our flight was on time, we boarded the plane, and off to Mombasa we went.  Upon landing we exited the plane and the heat was like a stiff club hitting you.  Glands that had been inactive kicked on and sweat began wetting my skin.  It may be autumn in Kenya, but it's still hot and steamy here on the coast.  Buffalo came to pick us up as Anthony no longer has sight at night.  Having an eye exam and possible cataract surgery during his next visit to the U.S. is a must.  He'll be required to travel during dark hours for his political work, so he'll need to tackle this issue somehow.  We made it to the village in record time.  I drove because Buffalo prefers my driving at night (scary thought), and 56 minutes after putting the car in drive, we were pulling up to the Koins Center.  There was NOBODY on the road, and it felt wonderful.  Unfortunately I will feel the sting of clogged traffic arteries and jams for the remainder of my visit when forced to go to town.  I'll enjoy the record-setting time while it lasts.

As I began unpacking and arranging my bedroom at the KCC I noticed several items missing.  I asked Mama Emily if she knew where they might be, as she always does my laundry once I depart.  She was worried that something may have disappeared under her watch, but I told her not to worry.  Buffalo knocked on my door and began to recount what had happened to some of my things.  I guess that with my head injury I was giving all kinds of things away to staff and village friends as I departed in early February.  He says that tomorrow when I'm taking breakfast I'll probably see a few of the t-shirts, kanga cloths, and hats that I thought were missing as they are worn by those to whom I gave them. 

It's good to be back.

BVL

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to hear about all that is going on. Best wishes Bret!

    ReplyDelete