Thursday, November 17, 2011

Rachel Fitzgerald's Kenyan Experience

A recent group of expeditioners to Kenya has returned, and this blog post is from Rachel Fitzgerald, a recent high school graduate.  It is always good to get a young person's perspective on their experience. 

Rachel and a new Kenyan friend

Going to Kenya was a life changing experience, and it was only possible through the Koins for Kenya foundation.  There is something about seeing the world that helps you to realize what life is really about.  I no longer looked at my small scale problems as the end of the world, instead I viewed what it was really like to have to fight to survive every day.  I was no longer worried whether or not I had the latest clothes or technology, I was gratefull to have anything at all.  I came to the realization that maybe road construction and speed limits in Utah were not such a bad thing, that I'd much rather take that than unsafe roads.  I found that maybe, just maybe, going to a full day of school was a blessing, not a curse. I was able to see that I would much rather spend a day at work, than spend a day walking under the hot sun to fetch muddy water.  

Rachel in Kenya

I still cannot explain to people exactly what it was that I learned and saw in Kenya.  They are all in the same position I was six weeks ago.  Its one thing to read about or listen to the stories, and its another thing to live them.  To most people they are just stories, to me the stories are real experiences continually happening every day around the world. Going to Kenya has changed me because I will never be able to forget whats really happening beyond our comfortable borders.  Before it was so easy to see just my life in Utah county through a funnel.  After seeing what I saw and doing what I did  I will never be able to forget the world. I will never be able to forget that it is a much better use of my time changing THE world, rather than changing MY world. 



I am so gratefull for Koins and everything they do.  I have seen first hand the hundreds of organizations that pull at the heart strings of people not to make change, but to get personal gain.  Koins is absolutely not one of these!  Koins for Kenya is changing the world, and doing it because their motivation is love not greed.  Not only is Koins assisting in education, nutrition, and health, they are spreading hope.  I would encourage anyone to help with the Koins cause because they truly are making a difference, and doing it the right way.


Rachel Fitzgerald
____________________

Thanks to Rachel for her comments and photos.  My experience has been that the best way to develop a young humanitarian is for them to experience life in different circumstances than how they have been raised.  It is impossible not to leave a changed person.  

Asante, 

IVL

No comments:

Post a Comment