Thursday, September 1, 2011

Abel Paulsen - Eagle Scout and Humanitarian

Photobucket
Abel and the children of Mnyenzeni, Kenya

I have recently been reading the blog and watching the videos on the website and felt inspired to write something. I can't put into words how much I appreciate Koins for Kenya. All they have done to change my life, the lives of others, and the lives of many Kenyan children. When I first heard about this opportunity, I liked it, but I had doubts that I would be able to do it and that I would be able to raise the money that I needed. I knew it would be fun, but I didn't know if it would be better to just do a typical paint-a-fence type of eagle project. Over the course of about two weeks, I was faced with a tough decision. I prayed and prayed on what to do and after about two and a half weeks, I knew that it was my duty to go to Kenya. I am so glad I made that decision. I have noticed a major change in my life and have seen the outstanding differences between two different worlds.  It is like opening the curtains to a bright warm sun on my face in the morning. I have noticed all of my blessings that I take for granted and think "Why Me?" What did I do to have more than these kids that are so poor? They work their butts off every day to get a small meal and a nice dirt floor to sleep on. 

Photobucket
Abel playing with the village kids in front of the KCC

Anyway I'm rambling.  This adventure has changed me for the better.  I love Kenya from the bottom of my heart and wish that these kids will get the opportunities that they deserve.  I hope to help these kids as much as I can.  I pray for them everyday and hope everyone in this world can love.

Asante Sana,

Abel Paulsen              



 _________________________________________________________________

Photobucket
Abel and Kim in Amsterdam

Abel was the youngest (and quietest) member of our July 2011 expedition.  He came to Kenya with his aunt, Kim Raybould.  He and his scout troop raised over $1,000 with a curb address painting project, and that money went towards building desks that were donated to the new Gona classrooms built by the Tingeys.  Abel worked hard in the workshop for several days, alongside Kenyan men, to build the sturdy desks that will each seat 3-4 students.  Without the desks, students would sit on the floor.

Photobucket
Abel building desks at the workshop

Photobucket
Abel and one of the desks he built

Photobucket
Kim and Abel in a finished desk

Photobucket
A classroom full of desks built by Abel

Photobucket
A typical classroom, 3-4 students per desk

Photobucket
Abel and Patrick

Abel shadowed Patrick for a day, accompanying him to his classes at Miyani Primary school, then going home with Patrick and participating in the work associated with daily Kenyan life.

Photobucket
Abel and Eric, his new buddy

I observed Abel at the Sean Michels School for special needs children, interacting with the kids there, and winning over Eric, the young son of Jemimah, the matron at the SMS.  Where the other white people would want to hold Eric or get into his personal space, Abel held out a ball and enticed Eric over to him, then taught Eric how to throw and catch the ball.  Able made a lifelong friend that day.  Abel blew bubbles with Beja, who was delighted by the interaction. The rest of the children at the SMS were drawn to Abel and his kind smile.  Before we left that day, many of them posed for photos with Abel.

Photobucket
Abel and Eric playing with a ball

Photobucket
Abel blowing bubbles with Beja



Photobucket
Abel helping the SMS kids with an art project

Photobucket
Abel and one of the SMS boys

Abel came to Kenya as a typical American teen.  He left a humanitarian.

Photobucket
Abel headed to the Gona school celebration

Photobucket
Abel receives a kikoy and the Duruma name, Mshenga

Asante,

IVL

Photobucket
Abel having a safari adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment