Monday, August 1, 2011

Simply Happy! (Ann's Reflections on Kenya)

This comes from Ann, another of our July expeditioners.

Photobucket
Monica, Sarah, Ann and Madie in Kenya
I’ve been home now for a week, having just experienced an incredible trip with my daughter Madie and a two very dear friends of mine, Sarah and Monica.  Many times I’ve been asked how the trip was and what the biggest thing was that I took away from the experience.  My first response and quickest to relay is the fact that “We”, all of us here in America, are so blessed!  We have so much to be grateful for!
Photobucket
Madie holding a baby at the dispensary

You all know this, I understand!  But I’d like to give you some more insight into what it was that I saw in Africa, that really touched me and has made a “Life Changing” impact on me. 

Photobucket
Teaching in a crowded Kenyan classroom

That first day in Myenzeni, we were introduced to those involved with the Koins board at the community center.  Anthony Yama gave a quick little intro and ended his words with, “THIS……… IS………… AFRICA”!   Maybe you’ve all heard this phrase spoken By James Earl Jones, with that deep voice.  This phrase still sticks in my mind as I reflect on the culture and the ways for these amazing people.  I’ll never forget those first scenes of the woman at the water puddles, carrying a 5 gallon jug of water on her head, baby wrapped on her back and a couple more kids in tow.  There the young boy pounding rocks, making gravel for mortar and a ways off another young boy herding cattle.  The beauty that surrounded them, the palm trees, the rolling hills, the riverbed that was once flowing, now dry.  It was as if the ground was meant for a resort!  Gorgeous!   I looked around, wondering where the stage directors where, the filming crew.  This was unbelievable to me.  I had no idea that people actually lived like this today.  It was if we had stepped back in time.  I felt so ignorant. 

Photobucket
Woman gathering water at Mwache river

What is it that I might be able to offer these people?  I have been blessed beyond measure is so many ways.  I wanted to make a difference somehow!  The need for clean water I would say is the greatest need for them all.  And then schools to educate all these beautiful kids running around, happier than any kids I’ve seen in America.  That job is huge.  So many kids!    They need help with agriculture, micro financing, job skills, solar lights so the students can study after dark, medical care, medicine, and ambulances.  The list goes on.  So many needs!   What could little ole me do to offer any hope for the future to these people?  This question was a constant in my mind as I prepared to go and even when there, I still was not sure of my purpose.  But I had planned to teach English to the 1st and 2nd level classes with Madie and then help out wherever any help was needed.  

Photobucket
Ann and Madie teach in a Kenyan classroom

I spent some time in the dispensary, logging in the patients name, complaints, and treatment advice with the strongest woman I think I’ll ever met, Naomi (the village nurse/mid-wife).  I played volleyball and basketball with the secondary kids after school.  So fun!  I can now say that I’ve played basketball on a dirt court.  Madie and I painted with the kids, played games at the KCC with the little ones who seemed to always be there, painted and prepared the newest building built by Koins in Gona, in preparation for the opening ceremony.  

Photobucket
Jessie and Madie at new Gona school and cistern
Photobucket
Painting the new Gona schol

Madie shared candy with the kids everywhere she went.  I did yoga one morning out in front of the KCC and had several kids join me.  I loved it.  But the thing I felt was most beneficial to these little ones in Kenya was sending them unconditional love, by making eye contact, winking and just smiling at them.  That was the most enlightening experience for me in Africa.  Those young little faces were looking to us for some hope.  We had so much to offer them, all of us.  But if they could feel my love for them, then my purpose in being there was good.   I hope they felt that love, and remember that feeling.  It was awesome to get a smile in return after that wink.  I’ll never forget the "Jambo's" from all we’d pass, in the van or  walking around the village.   My favorite was the Jambos and comments shouted as Madie and I ran 7 miles to Gona Saturday morning. This image will be burnt in my mind forever.  We had a great time. 

Photobucket
Little girl waving and shouting Jambo as Ann and Madie ran to Gona

Photobucket
Ann and Madie on the road to Gona

The entire 10 days, the emotions where there, mostly shock I think.  But none of them surfaced till I left.

Photobucket
Madie works with a Kenyan baby on her back

As we made our way around, teaching the kids, meeting with the teachers, becoming better acquainted with all the people in the villages, I fully enjoyed every moment, learning from them!  Amazed at the happiness and the simplicity of their ways.  Honestly, simple maybe is not how we would describe their way of life.  If I had to walk miles, every single day to fetch filthy water, and then spend hours preparing ugali, (corn mush) to provide meagerly for my family, simple is probably not the right term.  However, after spending a day with Betty, shadowing her for just a few hours, that is the way she made it all seem.  Betty made life for these people seem so simple and enjoyable. And this woman and her family really seemed truly happy.  Lots of singing, and dancing.  Big smiles with loud “Jambos”.  There was nothing that seemed too complicated!  No busyness, No competition, no need to be in a rush.  No Worries.  Hakuna Matata!  African time!  They all seemed relaxed and at peace with the life they where living. 

Photobucket
Ann grinding corn at Betty's house

Now this was my perception of them all.  Not knowing them intimately, I could be way off.  WE, as expeditioners, came with lots to offer and left them with all our things.  I’m sure it’s much like Christmas for them as we go, knowing they might receive a pair of shoes or a new shirt, toys, balls, books, bedding, or whatever is left behind.  Maybe most are just putting on a happy face for us white people.  But I’m pretty sure that is not the case with the children!

Photobucket
Ann teaches a group of schoolchildren a song

These kids where beautiful and happy!  Simply Happy!  It’s my hope that I will always remember this.  That life need not be so complicated and difficult.  We are much to concerned about things that just don’t matter.  Water, food, and shelter, are what those in Kenya are concerned about and that is it!  When those needs are meet, happiness is theirs!  Simply! 

Photobucket
Visiting the school at Boyani

I love these people I briefly spent time with.  I’m still dreaming about them every night and think about them all day long.  It’s been a tough adjustment for me, coming home, learning to live a “New Normal”!  I’ll never be the same. I’ll never complain about water, or bad roads, food, healthcare, education, electricity, or anything.  We have nothing to complain about.  We are spoiled!  I will give back, because I have been given much!   I will simplify my life!  I have every reason to be “Happy”!   “Simply Happy!  And so do you! 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment