Friday, November 26, 2010

Duncan - A Kenyan Success Story

Bret with Duncan,  June 2001

A while back, Bret received a hand-delivered letter from Brent H., a fellow humanitarian working in Kenya.  It was given to him by someone mistaking him for Bret.  The young man in the photo above, Duncan, had been trying to track Bret down for some time.  The following is his letter to Bret:

Dear Sir,

Greetings!  I hope that you are fine, healthy and progressing well.   I, personally, am well, only striving hard to achieve my dreams and goals in life.

It has been a very long duration, approximately 8 years ago without meeting again.  I remember that we lastly met at Samburu High School when I was in third year of the secondary course.  During that time, you brought for me and my friends who you were sponsoring with school fees attractive t-shirts.  That was the last moment of our meeting.

Since then, I have written several letters to you but mostly I don't get any feedback.  They are returned to me with information that the postal organization and personnel could not deliver those letters because the address I used is wrong and the owner unknown.

When I completed my secondary school course, I stayed at home for a whole year because there was inadequate resource to enable me to pursue further studies.  But in September of 2005 I enrolled in Kaimosi Teacher's Training College and trained as a Primary school teacher.  I completed my two years course in the year 2007 and fortunately, the following year I was employed.

Currently, I am teaching at the Chigutu Primary School, which is along and adjacent to the Murvani road leading to Kinango district head offices via Samburu town.

Surely, I have been enthusiastic and wished to meet with you but communication means have been the biggest obstacle to me.

Recently, I came to realize that you are the donor who launched and operates the Koins for Kenya organization.  In addition to that, I wish to share a lot with you, only when we meet again because it has been almost a decade without meeting.  Currently, I am attending lessons at school, but I have seen the need to write this letter for you, reminding you and hoping that you will also remember me, communicate to me and make arrangements even to meet with you again.  I will feel honored when you do so.

Finally, I have dearly missed your company and great aspirations; and words full of wisdom which I used to preserve after chatting with you.  I also register my appreciation and gratitude to you for the kindness you felt and aid that you offered to me.  You kindly paid school fees for me just like my own parents.  May God bless you and your family abundantly and empower your life with love and prosperity in everything that you undertake.

I hope that you will soon communicate back to me, create time to meet once again with you before you go back to America.  Otherwise, may God's love that makes everyday a joy to live nourish your life.

Yours sincerely,

Duncan Fumo Komato

Duncan and fellow college graduates, 2007
As we approach 2011, it will mark ten years since the first visit to Kenya made by Bret and I.  It was fun to read this letter from Duncan and to see the progress in his life since that time.  We can only hope that as Koins continues to sponsor secondary students that go on to the university level, we will see many more such success stories, and receive feedback from our students.

If you want to make a change in the lives of Kenyan students by providing a scholarship, either at the secondary school level ($300/year) or at a university level ($1,500/year, but can vary by school), please communicate with our scholarship coordinator, Nancy Littlefield, and she can connect you with a student in need.   If a lump sum won't work for your budget, she can set you up for a monthly or quarterly payment that will go toward the yearly fee total.  You will receive letters from your student, and an regular report card update.  For a small amount you can truly change a life.  

Asante Sana! 


No comments:

Post a Comment